Made to measure
So, you have a momentous event coming up. Perhaps it’s a Formal date, an invitation to a formal ballroom event, or even a wedding. Instinctively you think about having a custom-made dress stitched for the occasion. But it’s your first time, and you don’t know how to choose a custom-made dress!
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered! We’ll tell you everything you need to know about custom made fashion. Read on!
Why Custom Made?
The term “custom made dress” refers to a dress that’s designed and built to unique specifications. Unlike the one-size-fits all fashion available online, these dresses aren’t mass-produced. Custom made fashion is all about tailoring to fit your unique body type and tastes.
Often, the big question when choosing a dress is: Why custom made versus ready-to-wear? Isn’t is simpler to go online, browse through a plethora of pre-made designs, and just order one? Well, the advantage of custom-made dress choices are manifold, including:
- You might not always get a dress in the material you are looking for
- The size, design and shape of the dress might not be a perfect fit for your body
- Unlike custom made fashion, ready-to-wear dresses don’t come with options to adjust or right-size the dress. If it doesn’t fit, you’ll either have to return it, or spend more money in alterations
But most importantly, when you are dress-shopping for a very important occasion, like a formal or a wedding, you just won’t have the time to buy a dress, return it and buy another – and then learn that you need to take it to a seamstress to have it fit. That’s why custom-made designs are often preferred for special events.
Making the Right Choice
One of the beauties of choosing a custom made dress is that you have lots of variety to pick from. But learning how to choose a custom made dress may seem overwhelming at first, especially with so many choices out there. However, don’t let the variety intimidate you. In fact, if you know exactly what you want, shopping for custom made fashion can be fun – and rewarding!
Here’s all you need to know about how to choose a custom made dress, and what you should look for when selecting the right one for you:
- Before you visit your designer or seamstress, browse through patterns and designs, and decide which type of dress you want. Consider length, sleeves, neck design and back
- Next, discuss your custom-made dress needs with your seamstress or designer, and decide what materials will suit the design you have in mind
- If it’s a large custom-made dress that you need, your designer might have additional recommendations to flatter your body or accentuate other features.
- You might have other physical features too, which a custom made dress can either bring out or downplay
- Make sure you talk about accessories, including zippers, buttons and sequencing requirements
- Discuss timelines up front, including dates for fittings and final trials
- Talk about costs before placing your order. The cost of custom-made fashion may seem higher than cookie-cutter ready-to-wear dresses, but on the overall scheme of things, you’ll receive a much better final product – and a complete peace of mind!
And that’s how to choose a custom-made dress that fits all your needs. At the end of the day, if you want a dress that you feel comfortable wearing, and fits you perfectly, then custom made fashion is the way to go!